Job Title: Tasting Room Manager
Job Overview: Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards is currently seeking a professional Tasting Room Manager with strong leadership skills to join our winery retail team. This position will oversee the day-to-day Tasting Room & Retail operations at both winery locations (Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards, Hector, NY and Hazlitt Red Cat Cellars, Naples, NY). In addition, this position will also oversee the food and beverage operations at the onsite outdoor bar, The Oasis, located at Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards. This critical, customer facing role includes customer service, employee development, sales tracking, inventory control and compliance reporting. Additional responsibilities include directly managing the activities of the tasting room employees to ensure friendly, professional, efficient and courteous service is provided to customers. Developing a positive working environment with a spirit of cooperation is a key element of this position. Our increasing visitor count and high-profile winery locations require an outgoing, well organized, self-motivated and disciplined individual who is focused on the customer experience.\
Full-Time: (40+ hours/week average).
Salary commensurate with experience
Essential Functions of this Job:
- Effectively oversee the day-to-day operations of both Tasting & Retail Rooms.
- Deliver guidance and structure to other key personnel in the department to properly delegate tasks and manage the outcome of set projects.
- Provide motivation, leadership and personal support through coaching, guidance and staff development.
- Manage the overall culture and encourage a strong work ethic that fosters an environment of integrity.
- Oversee hiring, training, and provides mentorship to the TR staff to encourage and maximize their potential.
- Partner with wine educators, winemakers and production staff to ensure the TR staff receives the appropriate level of sales, product and general wine education and training.
- Recognize and address performance strengths and challenges of the staff. Resolve employee issues, concerns and complaints in an objective, professional and confidential manner.
- Maintain professional and timely communication with other department heads to ensure continuity and success of shared activities and responsibilities.
- Track, analyze and make recommendations on sales, pricing and goals. Generate ideas to promote increased sales, brand loyalty and overall profitability of the Tasting Rooms and Oasis.
- Develop strategies to increase guest count, sales per transaction and other tactics to grow the business.
- Develop incentivized sales goals and implement promotions and strategies to successfully achieve these goals.
- Oversee and maintains accurate inventories for both wine and merchandise to minimize loss and optimize reorder set points.
- Work within the Tasting Room conducting tastings, answering phones, resolving quest complaints and recording reservations as needed.
- Work directly with the marketing department for all marketing and promotional materials needed. Meet monthly and quarterly to plan promotions and deals to increase visitation and sales at both winery locations.
- Responsible for retail merchandise buying with the help of staff and ownership and assess success of each item based on sales.
- Oversee the safety and cleanliness of the Tasting Rooms and Oasis areas.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 5-10 years of related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree desirable.
- Prior winery, restaurant, and/or food service experience highly desirable.
- Possess excellent overall communication, organizational, and project management skills.
- Proven ability to work with multiple personality types while demonstrating excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrate high levels of leadership, initiative, creativity and flexibility.
- Proficient computer knowledge in areas such as MS Office, Revel Point of Sale system and Nexternal software experience a plus.
- Travel between locations as needed.
- Flexible work schedule will be required to execute the job function. Weekends, evening and occasional holidays required.