Job Title: Cellar Master
Reports to: Senior Winemaker, Winemaker Emeritus
Job Location: Naples, NY
Job Overview: As a member of the Winemaking team, the position of Cellar Master will be responsible for the supervision of , and participation in all cellar activities and processes. This position will adhere to, and enforce the standard operating procedures of our cellars, and will guide the rest of the cellar crew in safe and efficient working habits. Ongoing desire to learn about, excel in and contribute to an environment designed to make world class quality wines.
Full-Time (40 hours/week average)
Hourly wage commensurate with experience
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Assists the Winemaker(s) with daily supervision of the cellar crew and allocates work orders to ensure completion of all winemaking standards.
- Coordinates with Cellars, Lab, and Bottling in the preparation of each day’s product for packaging.
- Monitors and manages all aspects of safe tank storage of product. Ullage and product DO, and sparging.
- Provides the Winemaking team with daily updates on workload and progress of cellar work.
- Participates in sanitation audits and helps to supervise and maintain a clean, sanitary, and hazard free working environment.
- In conjunction with the Winemaking Team and Quality Manager, provides feedback to improve Cellar Standard Operating Procedures to ensure quality steps and risk aversion are built into all production systems and processes.
- Coordinates with the appropriate supply person to help maintain the levels of supplies and materials needed for the successful operation of the cellars.
- Works closely interdepartmentally with supervisors, managers and co-workers to encourage proper communication (Bottling, Lab, Maintenance, Management, etc.).
- Reports the condition and/or need of repair of equipment and facilities related to cellar operations to the Winemaking Team.
- Enforces safe operating procedures, supports safety programs and policies to safeguard personal safety, product safety, environmental safety, and company property as set forth by Hazlitt’
- Operates cellar equipment including but not limited to storage tanks, transfer pumps and hoses, filtration equipment, chillers and forklifts.
- Ability to manage team members in a calm and professional manner and to maintain optimism when setbacks occur.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Winemaking Team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Enology, Viticulture or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in cellar operations.
- Ability to effectively manage others, excellent communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of electrical, plumbing and mechanics
- Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, climb and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Flexible schedule during September – November grape harvest